Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2024

Regret

 


I live among the dead.

They stare at me 

from

frames and judge.

Do I measure up?

I doubt it.

Would they be ashamed?

I am.

I've never saved a town.

Never experienced hard times.

Never pulled a rabbit from

a hat that wasn't there.

This modern world

corrupted me.

I curse words that would

horrify, and remember

the drinking times.

I am not dignified

like the woman in the picture

who would never let her 

lady loose.  She is

forever well-kempt and polite.

A cigarette was never

a consideration.  

I will never be a painting

that looks down on younger generations.

I miss the living, but hang onto the dead.

They give me relevance.

Because it's who 

I am.


 ~ Elodie Pritchartt, September 2, 2024

2 comments:

  1. REGRET:Seriously nice prose. Did you write it?. I like it a lot. And on a more whimsical note - completely irreverent; don't forget what Vincent Furnier (Alice Cooper) said: "I love the Dead before their skin turns cold. Their Bluing flesh, for me to hold. Cadaver Eyes upon me see - Nothing"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I write everything on this blog. The few I haven't written, I've attributed to the writer.

      Delete

Blah-Blahs