Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2016

Signs






All around the city
sparrows fell.
Pigeons lay like litter
in the streets.
That's what it took
to make us stop, look
up and think
about
the end.

Is this how
it begins?
Not with a bang
but a flutter? When I came
across the turkey on
the north fork trail
I wondered
how long
we’d have.

The clouds hung
low, like dirty cotton,
a nagging ache
behind my brow.
I squinted against winter’s
stubborn glare.
Is it too bright? Or is it
darker now than ever?

If God’s eye
is on the sparrow,
where is his ear?
Is he listening?
A thousand
thousand feathers fall
like prayers from the sky.

Silence.

~ Elodie Pritchartt
17, May, 2007




1 comment:

  1. Tears which burn my eyes and tear my heart apart....so Elodiently penned....

    ReplyDelete

Blah-Blahs