Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2015

The Natchez Democrat is 150 Years Old

Major Thomas Grafton
Sunday's edition of The Natchez Democrat celebrates the paper's 150th anniversary.  To see the special edition, click here.My great grandfather, Major Thomas Grafton, was editor of the paper in the late 1800s.  

In 1880, the paper published The Queen City of the South:  Natchez, Mississippi -- a profusely illustrated guide to the important people, businesses, and resources in Natchez. Published by the NATCHEZ DEMOCRAT, and edited by Major Thomas Grafton, who provides an introduction titled, "Natchez: Its Past, Present and Future." 

To download a .pdf of it, click here.  I've just been told the .pdf address yields a 404 error message, so click here for the full text.


I got my first writing job at The Natchez Democrat way back in 1979.  It will always hold a fond place in my heart.

Congratulations on 150 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blah-Blahs