Search This Blog

Thursday, April 9, 2009

What a cold front looks like


One morning a couple of weeks ago, I was sitting on the porch at Shantybellum, enjoying the warm, balmy weather, when I looked across the river and noticed the air looked...well, strange. It was very dark on the Louisiana side. I couldn't even see Lousisiana, come to think of it. It just didn't seem normal.

So I grabbed my camera and headed over to the bluff. As I was walking toward the bluff near Learned's Mill Road, I looked down at the river and noticed a diagonal line that seemed to divide the river. I'd only been there a second or two when suddenly the air on the northernmost side of me turned cold. That's when I realized it was a cold front.

I'd never seen one. The temperature dropped in half a second from what was probably 75 degrees to maybe 50 degrees. For just a second there, I could still feel the warm air on one side of my body and the cold on the other.

I started running down the bluff toward Silver Street but soon realized the front was moving much faster than I could ever possibly hope to move. So I snapped a couple of shots. Just in the nick of time, too, I might add. Anyway, this is a photo of what a cold front looks like.

*photo by Elodie Pritchartt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blah-Blahs